Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Campaign Trail - A Clean Gentleman Contest

Campaign Trail - A Clean Gentleman Contest

We were at Nanyang and as usual, PAP's candidate My Yee who was redeployed from Punggol East to CCK Nanyang came to greet us.

After exchanging formal greetings, I was a bit surprised that he took the time and trouble to sit down and has a small chat with me.

I have done a bit of research on Mr Yee after the announcement of his candidacy in CCK Nayang. And as expected, he is indeed an unassuming and down to earth person.

In fact we share some common traits. He jokingly says that although he was from RI but he is just a "farmer", not a scholar or elite.

He started serving Ren Ci after Mingyi left. I told him that I used to serve a Buddhist welfare organization as well in fund raising during Hungry Ghost month. He also shared his visits to the three famous Buddhist temples in Taiwan.

After finishing up the drink he has treated me, it was time to go. But before leaving, he has left his name card with me. I promised him that no matter what is the outcome of this contest, we shall meet again for tea.

This encounter with Mr Yee leaves me thinking. PAP may have numerous MPs or Ministers whom we dislike but there are also some, though few, who are the ones with humility and sincerity to serve the Nation.

Mr Yee may be one of them but unfortunately, we are now opponents doing a face off in this GE.

Nevertheless, as gentlemen, we contest aggressively against each other's political views and ideas but will definitely keep the sparring CLEAN from malicious smearing.

May the better man wins.

Goh Meng Seng

No comments: